Roadside, Limbs & Leaves
Roadside (Bulk) Effective February 1, 2017
* Additional trash, White goods, furniture and bulk items will be collected from the curbside for a fee of $20.00 per 1/2 ton pick-up load.
* For pickup requests larger than a 1/2 ton pickup truck, a 1.5 ton (3 cubic yard) dumpster bag can be purchased for a fee of $86.00. This fee covers landfill fees, cost of the bag, and labor for one operator and one laborer to collect the bag.
* All refrigerators and other appliances that may contain hazardous gas must be tagged by a qualified technician following the removal of the gas. Doors on these appliances must be removed prior to placement at the curb and scheduling collection.
* To schedule a collection using cash or check, you may visit the Public Works Office, pay the fee and receive a receipt.
*To schedule a collection using a credit or debit card, log into the OpenGov tab on the first page of the Cityof KM website, Choose Public Works and follow the instructions in the "CURBSIDE COLLECTION" tab. The collection will be entered into the work order system and scheduled for pickup as quickly as the crew is available to do so, usually 1-2 days.
** NO REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED
Otherwise items at the roadside must be removed by the tenant or property owner.
The county dump sites are open from 8am to 7pm Monday thru Saturday and are free to the public as long as you have the window sticker provided by the County Tax office.
Leaves & Limbs
LEAF SEASON 2023-2024
October 1, 2023 - February 15, 2024
Yard Waste Collection Guide
To help keep our City safe and attractive, The City collects yard waste from residential properties located in the City on a rotating bi-weekly basis. The City collects waste resulting from routine residential yard maintenance including, leaves, grass clippings, twigs, small limbs, trimmings, and small shrubs. In order to continue providing service in a safe, effective, and timely manner, the City needs residents to help by following our policies and guidelines. Please take a moment to look over this guide.
Placing Yard Waste Curbside
- From Oct 1- February 15 - Yard waste should be placed at the curb by 7:30 a.m. for collection on your scheduled route day. Raked into a pile and left loosely on the curbside. Do not place any leaves over the curbside into the street (this causes drainage to become clogged). When using the area between the roadway and the sidewalk, the sidewalk should not be covered. The City will only remove yard waste that is placed on the City’s easement (Reference: In front of your water meter or electric poles) by using a vacuum system.
- From February 16 - Sept. 30 - All clippings and leaves must be bagged and placed curbside for collection by hand.
- Yard waste MUST be separated by type. Please take particular care to separate grass clippings and leaves, which are collected by a vacuum truck, from branches and trimmings, which are collected by hand.
- Weekly, the City can only collect a single pile of twigs, small limbs, and trimmings from each home. The entire pile may not exceed ten (5) feet long, ten (5) feet in width, and four (5) feet in height. The City shall assist homeowners in removing larger piles of yard waste at residential areas only and must be requested and approved by the Public Works Director and shall be billed at a rate of $50 per half-hour (30 minutes). Prices will be quoted and paid in full prior to work being performed by the City. Rates may be subject to change.
Items we can NOT collect
- Limbs exceeding four (4) inches in diameter or five (5) feet in length.
- Stumps, tree trunks, large branches, large shrubs and other yard waste generated by land clearing and similar activities such as clearing large areas of underbrush from natural or unmaintained areas.
- Tree and shrubbery branches, limbs and trimmings cut by landscape and tree service contractors or other commercial workmen.
- Yard waste that is co-mingled with other yard waste or is contaminated with non-yard waste like: rocks, dirt, sand, gravel, and mulch which can damage our collection equipment.
This guide highlights our yard waste collection policies. Our policies intend to keep our City’s yard waste collection service running safely, effectively, and in a timely manner. It is essential City crews are able to arrive at your home, safely and quickly collect your yard waste, and move on to other homes. The attached schedule will be adhered to and only altered due to weather or equipment failure. During our heavy season, normally October-January, the route could be approximately three to four weeks. Thank you very much for your consideration and cooperation. Please direct all questions to the Public Works Department at 704-734-0735. Rev. 08/27/2023