Genealogy & Local history
DigitalKM.orgDigitalKM.org is a curated website of historical materials about Kings Mountain. The website presents digital photographs and archives hosted by the NC Digital Heritage Center, all primary resources of the people, places and events that have shaped the City of Kings Mountain. Included in the website is Hometown Heroes, a biography section of Kings Mountain notable citizens. Physical materials can be located at either the Mauney Memorial Library or the Kings Mountain Historical Museum.
Kings Mountain City & County ResourcesThe library owns local family history specific to the Kings Mountain area. The library houses a small vertical file of newspaper clippings, photographs, brochures and some magazine publications concerning the City of Kings Mountain, the area and its citizens. Interspersed in these vertical files are unpublished, donated family histories.
- Kings Mountain Herald (available at the Mauney Memorial Library)
- Microfilm from 1914-1982 (not comprehensive)
- Print 1982-current
- Digital 1982-2014 (in house use only)
- Cleveland County Cemeteries: cemetery records
- Harris Funeral Home Obituary Search: from 1930-present
- Mountain Rest Cemetery: Dating from 1876 and owned by the City of Kings Mountain, this cemetery contains approximately 2,000 graves and covers 25.67 acres
- Mountain Rest Cemetery Burial Records Search: Mountain Rest Cemetery Online Burial Search
- Broad River Genealogy Society: Area genealogical records and historical information
North Carolina Family Records Online is comprised of North Carolina family history materials from the holdings of the State Archives of North Carolina and State Library of North Carolina.
The North Carolina Digital Collections database contain over 90,000 historic and recent photographs, state government publications, manuscripts, and other resources on topics related to North Carolina. The collections are free and full-text searchable, and bring together content from the State Archives of North Carolina and the State Library of North Carolina.
North American Women's Letters and Diaries includes the immediate experiences of 1,325 women and 150,000 pages of diaries and letters.
- Family Search: Census records, birth certificates, death certificates, and more!
- RootsWeb: The oldest and largest free genealogy site.
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites: Comprehensive list of genealogy resources online.
- Bureau of Land Management, General Land Office Records: Federal land conveyance records for the public land states.
- FreeBMD: Civil registration index of births, marriages, and deaths in England and Wales.
- Ellis Island Passenger Arrivals: American Family Immigration History Center.
- TheShipsList: Passenger lists and more.
- Castle Garden: U.S. immigration database with records from 1820-1892.
- African-American HeritageQuest: African-American genealogical sources: unique primary sources, family histories, and finding aids.
- African American Online Genealogy Records: Comprehensive list of online African American genealogy collections.
- AfriGeneas: African American and African Ancestor Genealogy.